Obesity and being overweight is a very real problem in the world today. Many women, children, and men are obese or overweight. Obesity and overweight have been associated with many other health issues and can even lead to death. It is of vital importance that you try to remain healthy. You should be aware if you or anyone you know may be obese or severely overweight. Here are a few danger signs to look out for:
1. Shortness of breath – Difficulty to move naturally and shortness of breath due to excess fat. The extra fat inhibits movement and hinders air flow.
2. Depression – Some people who are overweight withdraw from society because they feel embarrassed or even victimized. This withdrawal can be a sign of depression.
3. Aching knees – Extra weight puts extra pressure and strain on the knees. The joints and muscles have to work harder which can make them start hurting.
4. Heartburn – Excess fat puts pressure on the digestive system. This can cause heartburn and acid reflux. Heartburn is an uncomfortable burning feeling in the chest area.
5. High blood pressure – This is one of the most important factors to look for. A change in blood pressure, especially high blood pressure has been strongly linked with obesity.
6. Snoring – Obesity can cause an increase in snoring and sleep apnoea.
7. Skin problems – Obesity causes changes in hormone levels. These changes can cause skin problems like darkening. Gaining and losing weight also leaves stretch marks on the skin.
8. Varicose veins – These are a cluster of blue or purple veins. They are sometimes surrounded by spider veins. Some can be painful.
9. Irregular periods – Due to the change of hormone levels and release, period duration, and frequency can be influenced. It can cause cessation or irregularity.
Obesity can be a very serious health problem if not recognized and treated. Stay alert and keep healthy.